"Don't skip Portland...a city but so much more!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Things to Do Tip by ladyanne
Maine Things to Do: 193 reviews and 233 photos
Portland is the largest city in Maine, on the southern end of the state. It may be a city but don't let that keep you away.
Probably my most favorite small city in the United States....it is built on a slight hill that goes down to the waterfront with a shipping and fishing industry that keeps it alive and well. The city is full of life with great architecture, history, cultural events, wonderful sculptures through the streets and squares, old hotels and two great museums.
Not only that but the waterfront area called the "Old Port" has been re-vitalized with renovations of the original old stone and brick buildings, many smart shops and cafes and restaurants. Fun just to walk along both sides of Commercial St. with it's many cobble stone streets that shoot off of it, with narrow charming places to explore.
The tourist and fishing industry abide side by side in this wonderful quaint envirement. Seaguls, ocean air, smell of fish, hot sun, cool breeze, boats and ships......so much to do and see.
You must also go to the Casco Bay Ferry Lines on Commerial St. and take a ferry ride all around the beautiful islands of Casco Bay.
You can also catch "Whale Watching" trips also.
Prepare to spend a couple of days here, it will give you a mixture of both worlds.
Directions: Route 95, take Route 295, exit Portland Waterfront district or Franklin St. exit.
More Things to Do in Maine (13)
More Reviews (34)
- See All Cliff Island, Casco Bay, Maine
- See All There is no NIGHTLIFE on Cliff..there is...
- See All ........and more bicycles parked at the...
- See All Find a Cottage to Rent...and you will...
- See All Rockport Harbor, a clear day of blue sky...
- Perry's Nut House, Belfast-Knox, Maine
- See All Avoid Sunday afternoons to leave Maine....
- See All Consistent Good Food at a Great Price!!
- Bug Spray and Calamine Lotion!!!
- Monday Nights at the Association Hall....
ladyanne's Related Pages
Have you been to Maine?Share Your Travels