"Kissing each cheek in greeting is ok, even for men" Egypt Local Custom Tip by Christy~~Habibi

Egypt Local Customs: 225 reviews and 149 photos

To some it would seem odd to have someone kiss us on each cheek everytime we see them. In Egypt, this is a normal friendly custom they follow to let you know they are happy to see you. Even for men this is normal. It became comfortable for me after my third day there and my husband telling me "It's ok honey" lol. Another thing I did take notice of is the seperation of men and women during big family get togethers. In my mother in laws home during the celebration of my nephews birth, all the women, including me who spoke not a single word of Arabic at the time, sat together in a bedroom talking and laughing, while the men gathered in the big front room, smoking and chatting. I made my husband stay with me inside the womens room, which he did VERY hesitantly LOL. There are many cultural differences to speak of , these two stand out for me the most. I will be sure to post more tips as I get the time to do so. Happy Traveling....

Website: http://www.touregypt.net/

• Written Aug 10, 2005

“Egypt has my heart forever....”

Ranked Member