"In case you can't speak Bulgarian ......" Bulgaria Things to Do Tip by skullcrusher

Bulgaria Things to Do: 226 reviews and 503 photos

Which city am I going to?
by skullcrusher

If you happen to be like me and didn't grow up learning to read cyrillic then you might find trying to decipher the road signs (and pretty much every other sign) quite daunting.

Luckily some signs have things listed in English or German as well; sadly, most don't. There are a few answers to this problem:

1. Travel with a local guide via a tour or something. Not something that I would do personally.

2. Learn a bit of the language before you go. This is what I did and I though my vocabulary was limited, it definitely helped me in my travels. I used the "Eyewitness Travel Guide: Bulgarian Phrasebook" and I found it very useful. Also, the website "Phrasebase" has some great phrases that you can learn for Bulgarian (as well as many other languages).

3. Get local maps of the area in CYRILLIC. This makes a big differece because street signs in Bulgarian cities are predominately in cyrillic only. So using a map in English or some other language will be of limited use.

4. Become adept at finding your way around using landmarks.

5. Any other suggestion?

And remember that if your Bulgarian is non-existant then knowing Russian would be great followed by German. English speakers shouldn't fret - there are quite a few locals in Bulgaria who can speak English quite well and can help you out.

• Updated Aug 9, 2005

More Things to Do in Bulgaria (1)

“Sic transit gloria mundi.”

Have you been to Bulgaria?