"Vans" Laos Transportation Tip by AshleeS

Laos Transportation: 143 reviews and 146 photos

The Happy Van

The Happy Van
    by AshleeS
      road we drove on forever
    by AshleeS

With the money conversion it is cheap enough (depending on your budget) to get a driver and a van and just go. There were 10 of us and we got two vans and two drivers to drive us anywhere we wanted to go. We went on a 13 hour drive from Vientiane to Pakse through the country side. Normally I fall asleep during car rides after about the first few hours but I was so amazed by the scenery that I just looked out the window the whole time. You will if driving a far distance probably come across some toll booths. They are cheap, and our driver would always get us a discount.. It is different driving here then anywhere else I have ever been. There is so much to see. To me their houses are amazing. Some look like they may fall over but they seem to keep standing. You can see people taking naps in little huts on their fields. If you look into their houses (easier to see at night) you can see the glow of a television. It just seems strange that they can afford to have a television, just not what I expected. You can stop almost anywhere in the bigger towns anyways and have some local food. We stopped on the side of the road one time for some sugar cane. The roads are different as well. With school children and other people walking on the side of what is the comparison to our freeway. You honk when passing them to let them know not to go infront of you. At night you flash your lights (it means the same thing). They drive in the middle of this skinny road and when on coming trafic comes they pull further to the side. A few times this little road had like 4 lanes to it with people passing left right and center. It is an experience. Also watch out for wild life we hit a chicken, whatever you do don't stop just keep going. We also saw another van hit a cow. Don't worry the cow seemed fine the van was the one with the problem after that.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Car/Motor Home

• Updated Nov 16, 2005

Comments

AshleeS

“Try Anything Once”