Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge: "All around the blueberry bush" Kachemak Bay State Park Restaurant Tip by karenincalifornia

Kachemak Bay State Park Restaurants: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Tutka Bay blueberries, Alaska
by karenincalifornia

Blueberries are abundant throughout Alaska, and they are ripe in July and August. On our second day, we went out halibut fishing but came up empty handed. In the afternoon, my daughter and I wanted to salvage our egos by going after easier game - so we picked blueberries on the Mental Health land that borders the Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge property.

Wild blueberries taste very different from the kind you can purchase in a market. Wild blueberries are extremely tart, but packed with flavor. Add just a little sugar, and their intense sweet flavor is released.

Favorite Dish: My daughter and I picked about 8 cups of blueberries and donated what we didn't eat to the lodge. That is the sort of thing you want to do at this lodge - the owners are so creative in preparing the dishes. You just can't wait to see how many ways they can cook with a blueberry. The lodge used our blueberries in an outstanding blueberry creme brulee, blueberry scones and blueberry pancakes. They were all delicious!

Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Aug 8, 2005

Comments

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Have you been to Kachemak Bay State Park?