"Big museums" Paris Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Norali

Paris Warnings and Dangers: 867 reviews and 512 photos

Guimet museum is far to be the hugest, still ...
by Norali

It is not about sthg I consider dangerous, rather a simple warning. Parisian museums use to be big...

Lately, I went seeing those beautiful collection pieces at Musée Guimet. 4 hours were not enough to see half of the gatherings. The museum being dedicated to Far-Eastern arts, it is true that we had to take time to plunge into the mysteries of this unknown (to us) string of Asian cultures. So, who is not used to hinduism, buddhism, tantrism principles and plans to see this museum should better aim low. Four hours was the max I could go on and as the aim was about having fun, we took it easy, laid-back. Hurrying up to "do" all the pieces? No way! Although Musée Guimet is not that big compared to other Parisian museums, we decided to split the visit in two: the first visit was to see the India, Pakistan area, Cam, Khmer, Thai, Indonesian and a bit of China whislt another visit is planned to see the second part (on Japan, China ...). Yeah! Paris in some near future, again ! Well, by then, I hope to have learnt more by reading about the subject.

Still... I faced similar situations in other museums too though themes there were more familiar to us (one exhibition on impressionism in Grand Palais and another visit to louvre far far ago). Yes, you'd better aim low esp. if the theme is rather unknown to you. The real thing is that the first visits use to be the "eye-opening" part, the second ones are easier to grab... and the third (if any) would be for any temporary exhibition on the subject. Probably, a pre-visit reading would be handy since explanation was merely given. I could use the audio-guide but it was not enough.

We aimed too high ;-) the whole Guimet gatherings (not that big) with a temporary exhibition (Japanese estampes and éventails) for an afternoon: that was too much... and we wanted to have fun and keep our brains healthy... Mission possible :-)

• Updated Aug 26, 2005

Comments

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”