"Explore the Grounds and Gardens at Hatfield House" England Things to Do Tip by no1birdlady

England Things to Do: 566 reviews and 886 photos

Old Palace with knot garden at Hatfield House.
by no1birdlady

Just north of London is historic Hatfield House. Elizabeth I spent much of her childhood in the original Tudor Hatfield Palace but only one wing of this survives. There is an older estate where they have Elizabethan banquets. When we were here, there was an Elizabethan wedding going on with wonderful period costumes. There is also a large more recent Hatfield House which is huge. You can tour the house but we didn't do that. We just walked around in the gardens which date from about the early 17th century. There are different areas with fountains, pools, a herb garden, a knot garden, a natural wilderness area and a maze. I love gardening and in June when we were here the flowers were just beautiful. There were purple Iris, Wisteria, large pink poppies, Giant Allium, and the pink Jupiter's Beard. Golden Rain Trees were hung with yellow blossoms. We also saw 20 species of birds including the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and the Long-tailed Tit. There is a nice gift shop here and also a small restaurant where we had lunch. One nice thing about the eating area was a beautiful mural of Hatfield House and grounds on the wall.

Directions: Hertfordshire
Hatfield, Herts AL9 5NQ

Phone: 01707 262823

• Written Aug 6, 2005

“Expectation keeps you young. I wonder what will happen when I kiss this frog?”

Have you been to England?