"Seoul City Tour Bus Sucks" Getting Around Tip by garyfleisher

Getting Around, Seoul: 12 reviews and 2 photos

I tried to tour Seoul using the Seoul City Tour Bus. The bus circles the city's tourist sights claiming to provide tour guides and English, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese language descriptions of attractions.

I (and others at my hotel who didn't take the bus with me) found that the bus worked well in the morning. However, later in the day it was extremely crowded. The bus was packed full of standing tourists. It seemed that the tour guide's only purpose was to tell customers to "wait for the next bus; this bus is full." However, folks just pushed in anyway. It turns out that they had gotten the same message from each afternoon and evening bus. I was told that one bus runs to each sight every 30 minutes and that there are no extra buses.

Once the bus is full, getting on and off is difficult and involves a LOT of shoving. You need to start worming your way to the door the stop before you get off. It reminded me of riding a bus in Manhattan at rush hour.

Of course while standing on a crowded bus you can't see the city you came to visit, since you can't look out of the window. You also get stepped on and pushed a lot.

There are earphones at each seat that play descriptions of tour attractions in different languages, however, since I couldn't find a seat I couldn't listen to the descriptions.

Every Seoul City Tour Bus tour guide I met spoke Korean and Japanese. One guide told me that she was supposed to be able to answer questions in Korean and Japanese, but not in European languages like English.

My advice is to take the local buses, subways, and taxis while in Seoul; stay off the Seoul City Tour Bus.

• Written Aug 5, 2005