"Security problems" Michelangelo Hotel Tip by nidhibhat

Michelangelo Hotel, Johannesburg: 832 reviews and 7 photos

I read the reviews on the internet and checked myself into Michealangelo at the Sandton City 2 weeks ago. I had the most terrible experience here.
One evenign when I got back to my room the door lock was reset. So went down and got the key changed. When i enetred the room the bar was locked and the key was nowhere to be found either. The third part of it completerly outraged me. Our safe deposit box was open. I was extremely furious and this was totally unacceptable. To me this seemed like the hotel guys prepared the room for checkout and so reset the door lock, locked the bar and reset the lock on the safe deposit box. When I confronted the security staff they didnt own responsibility for the mistake. Luckily I didnt lose anything from the safe deposit box but I didnt have the courage to stay in the hotel for another day.
To point it out further, in my 15 day stay the door lock was reset 6 times which was very annoying. They said that the locks get reset becasue of the cell phones or some other disturbances.
Anyway I checked out the next morning into another hotel accross the street ( Intercontinental) which is slightly expensive but I feel safer here.
I hope no one has this kind of experience but I felt it was my responsibility to point this incident out to others.
Good luck.

Unique Qualities: I like the dining here. Also the Gym was decent. Unfortunately this incident wiped out all the good in the hotel

Address: Sandton Square, West Street, Sandown, Johannesburg
Phone: +27 11 282 7000
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.michelangelo.co.za/

• Updated Aug 2, 2005

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Johannesburg?