"Visit the tombs of Vietnam's Emperors." Vietnam Things to Do Tip by worldkiwi

Vietnam Things to Do: 746 reviews and 1,138 photos

The tomb of Minh Mang, near Hue.
by worldkiwi

While you are staying in Hue, you will see many tours of the Emperors' tombs advertised. I had already had my full of guided tours at My Son, so I decided to hire a motorbike and driver for the day to take me to see two tombs that seemed interesting after reading my Lonely Planet.
We set off really early, to beat the hoardes to Minh Mang's Tomb, about 12km south-west of Hue. The ride there was fantastic. It was very scenic.
The 19th century emperors' tombs were in fact palaces for the monarchs while they were alive, but they served the secondary purpose of being the places they would be laid to rest. As such, they were planned and built on a grandiose scale. Minh Mang's "tomb" was the most natural. One could almost believe that Minh Mang was a bit of a "greeny". This place was tranquil in the early morning light. The emperor's tomb itself is a humble mound, covered in pine trees. Take your time to wander around the lakes, for some supberb views. Tu Doc's tomb is more structural and imposing. Again, the use of water is intriguing, but the feel is anything but tranquil. Tu Doc is not actually buried in his tomb. To this day, it is still a mystery as to where his body was laid.

• Written Jul 30, 2005

“We all share one planet, so look after it and be nice to each other!”

Have you been to Vietnam?