"Scuba dive from Nice" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Sports & Outdoors Tip by allaboutnice

Nice Sports & Outdoors: 21 reviews and 21 photos

scuba diving AND good hair - no chance
by allaboutnice

For 37 euros we tried our first scuba dive, a ‘Bapteme’. Children have to be 8 or older. There are two dives a day, 9:00 and 14:30, each trip lasts about three hours.

The cost includes the boat trip past the Cap of Nice towards Villefranche, instruction and all equipment, practise and a half-hour accompanied dive. Our instructor, Richard, went carefully went through all the safety procedures and signals etc until he was confident we knew what to do.

Once ready, but without the tanks and weights, you jump in and practise breathing just below the surface of the sea with regulators and air attached to the boat so there is no chance you can either dive or drift away. When deemed ready, the harness, weights and tank is put on you by the instructor, another practise, then off you go.

The pressure hurt my ears a bit and I found the whole experience a bit unnerving, I had to concentrate hard on keeping relaxed and I never really felt completely comfortable. My instructor held my hand throughout the dive (very romantic - a fishy ‘brief encounter’) and led me around to points of interest – an octopus hiding in a rock, various fish, starfish etc. The chap who dived with my husband didn’t hold HIS hand; he just gripped him by his harness.

I was really pleased I'd had a go at scuba diving but not tempted enough to book a 5-day course which would have been the next step requiring a medical certificate. My daughter chickened out of her deep dive after about five minutes down there but I thought she did very well, considering how scared I felt and she was very nifty with the scuba when practising just below the surface of the sea. I am sure it will be something she will try again another time. She got a certificate at the end of the dive.

The website gives you the full range of diving options, prices, contact, map directions etc. and the office is located on Quai Lunel by the booking office for 'trans cote d’azur' boat trips.

Equipment: Swimsuit and towel are what you are told to bring. I would arrive with your swimwear on, under your clothes, as you get changed on deck in front of everyone.

An underwater camera would have been handy, husband left ours back in UK so in bad books although it would have been easy enough to buy a disposable underwater camera if we had been more organised.

I would also bring suncream, sunglasses and a bottle of water. A comb wouldn't go amiss afterwards when you are drying and changing. A beach bag to stash your clothes.

Address: Le Poseidon Diving Centre, Quai Lunel, Nice Port
Directions: Office and reception on the east side of the Port, close to Castle Hill. Next door to the Trans Cote D'azur boat trip company.
othercontact: email: tlo@poseidon-nice.com
Phone: Tél/Fax : +33 (0)4 92 00 43 86
Theme: Scuba Diving
Website: http://www.poseidon-nice.com/en/index.html

• Updated Jul 29, 2005

Comments

allaboutnice Visits Here Frequently!

allaboutnice

“always take your GHDs and Nespresso machine”

Have you been to Nice?