"A sombre memorial, with a sharp edge (literally!)" Holocaust Memorial Tip by TempNomad

Holocaust Memorial, Berlin: 74 reviews and 153 photos

We stopped by the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, but the information center was closed. The last entrants are allowed into the info. center at 19:15. However, there were pamphlets available, and the Stelae are always open. Entrance is always free.

Walking around inside the Memorial is pretty cool. The Stelae go far above your head (the tallest are more than four meters high) and then they shrink down to your ankles at some points.

The result has been controversial for a while, but what's not controversial these days? I appreciate the aesthetic, and I found walking through the stelae calming. However, I think some written plaque at each corner (I didn't see one) or some other acknowledgement of the meaning behind the memorial might serve it well.

There were children jumping on top of some of the stelae, and some were even jumping from one to another. From what I heard from other visitors to the memorial, people have also used it for sunbathing. Now, I'm not big on forced meditation or anything, but something just seems wrong about that.

Anyway, I liked it. It reminded me a little of the Vietnam Memorial, which I like very much. One concern (especially coming from the hyper-safety-litigious US) is that with kids running around down there, someone is going to crack a skull or two. I'd also refuse to go walk around after dark or alone. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but if I were someone up to no good, that's where I'd hang out.

Address: Cora-Berliner-Str. 1
Directions: S-Bahn to Unter den Linden and Potsdamer Platz
U-Bahn to Potzdamer Platz (U2)

Phone: 49 030 740 72929
Website: http://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/

• Updated Jul 28, 2005

“Travel with open arms and minds; see more than the flock.”

Have you been to Berlin?