"Casbah of the Oudaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Rabat Things to Do: 205 reviews and 438 photos
Rue des Consuls lead me to Casbah of the Oudaya (Kasbah des Oudaias) located in the best for its old defensive function place of Rabat: at the highest city point, on a cliff, at the mouth of Oued Bou Regreg river to the Atlantic Ocean. The kasbah covers relatively small area and is surrounded by impressive walls which look the best at sunset.
But I liked especially:
- Kasbah gardens;
- museum Oudaya (National Museum of Moroccan Art - impressive collection of local jewelry, koranic manuscripts, musical instrument and royal carpets;
- views from the kasbah over twin city of Sale across the river, the Atlantic Ocean and Rabat.
WHAT IS KASBAH?
The kasbah is a unique kind of medina or Islamic city surrounded by defensive walls. Its function was to give a place to live for a local leader/ruler or dynasty and to defend city. That's why kasbah was often placed on a top of a hill or near the entrance of harbours. Each old city of North Africa has its own kasbah.
Directions: In the northernmost and the highest point of Rabat, at the mouth of Oued Bou Regreg river to the Atlantic Ocean.
More Reviews (36)
- Chellah - the best of Rabat
- Against heat and to take pics...
- See All My recommended itineraries (on foot)
- See All Colorful royal staff
- See All White koubba of Chellah
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Rabat?Share Your Travels