"Robben Island" South Africa Things to Do Tip by sunshinejo

South Africa Things to Do: 727 reviews and 1,118 photos

I went on a tour around Robben Island with my aunt, who is local to the Cape Area. She'd lent me an autobiography written by a friend of her's, Eddie Daniels, who was an inmate with Nelson Mandela, so I already knew quite a bit about the island from that and was really excited about it. The tour was really good, first of all they took us on a bus ride around the island, showing us where the prison wardens lived, isolation areas, the leoper colony and the quarry where the inmates worked. The second part of the tour was based within the prison. This part I actually found a bit disappointing, they sat us in a communal cell (very uncomfy!) while a former inmate talked to us about his experiences while he was here and what life in the prison was like. Everything he had to say was very interesting, but it would have been better if he'd said it while we were walking around the prison. Obviously, we also stopped by Nelson Mandela's cell, and the courtyard where he and other inmates on B-Section used to go for fresh air.

This tour is definitly worth doing, the guides are all ex-political prisoners, and are happy to talk about their past and answer any questions you have about Robben Island. Tickets are R150 for adults, R75 for children aged 7-14, and this includes a return ferry trip from the V&A Waterfront to the island. The tour takes 3.5 hours including 30mins each way on the ferry.

Directions: Ticket Sales and Information Centre are on the Nelson Mandela Gateway at the V&A Waterfront.
Website: http://www.robben-island.org.za

• Written Jul 27, 2005

“Time won't wait for you, so do all the things you want to do! - Jamiroquai”

Have you been to South Africa?