'gLOVE me, pi ro di': "Beautiful leather gloves in every colour" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Shopping Tip by allaboutnice

Nice Shopping: 64 reviews and 80 photos

I'll take one in every colour

I'll take one in every colour
    by allaboutnice
      tidying up the shelves in 'gLove me'
    by allaboutnice

This attractive shop is stocked with a small number of leather goods at excellent prices and in a range of colours. It is very welcoming - a wide front opens onto three sides split into gloves, scarves, belts and handbags plus some luggage. The stock is limited and neatly presented making it very easy to have a good look without feeling that you have neither overlooked anything nor too overwhelmed by choice. The shop is fresh and cool and clean. The chap who owns and manages it is Italian and all the goods are made at his factory in Naples.

You can have a good look in peace and there is no hard sell and he speaks english if required. He seems to be fluent in French too and Italian too of course.

What to buy: Gloves were the thing that lured me in, in the first place. Two rows of the softest calf leather gloves in a range of wonderful colours; pinks, oranges, olives, blues plus the ubiquitous black and neutrals.

I tracked down a pair of gloves I've been after for a while; longer than average not only covering the wrist but going up the arm slightly and in a perfect shade of muted orange - don't mock, the colour's gorgeous you can see a similar pair on Trinny in her what not to wear book 2 if you don't believe me.

The style of gloves range from regular unlined leather gloves, there are also silk-lined ones to fur-edged ones and longer silk-lined ones plus a few trendy fingerless jobs. You'll be asked to wear disposable plastic gloves before trying on any of the gloves.

The bags are extremely nice too, pretty good 'Kelly' types and good versions of other upmarket designs. Well worth a browse and a feel - the leather is very good quality. There are a small number of purses too.

A wall displays a range of belts in neutrals and more exciting colours to match the bags and gloves plus a choice of buckles in brass, shiny silver or matt silver finish. The chap fits the belt to your choice of buckle and cuts it to size there and then.

I got the impression if he didn't have it in stock, he could probably get it for you with enough notice.

I bought my gloves last week and today I bought a belt and a purse and he put in a matching leather key-ring as a freebie.

An English family popped in when I was having my belt cut and they were after another piece of luggage that they had bought two months earlier which I thought was a good sign. It is also a sign that if you see it and like it, then buy it as he had finished that particular line of luggage. (I saw her carrying one of the shop bags later on in the Old Town so luckily she managed to find something she fancied)

What to pay: Leather key rings from 10 euros, unlined leather gloves from 29 euros, my beautiful longer silk-lined leather gloves were about 70 euros, Kelly bags about 190 euros, purses from 38 euros and belts from 27 euros. The leather is excellent quality and it is well worth seizing the moment even in the heat of summer to think ahead to the winter, the gloves are hardly going to take up much packing space either.

Address: rue du Marche, Old Nice
Directions: rue du Marche starts at the end of rue du Collet and de la Boucherie. Continue towards the Palais du Justice. Look out for 'gLove me' on the right hand side not far from the L'Ecurie restaurant.
Phone: 04 93 79 75 63
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 24, 2007

Comments

allaboutnice Visits Here Frequently!

allaboutnice

“always take your GHDs and Nespresso machine”

Have you been to Nice?