Chilpancingo: "Unique Mexican" Chilpancingo - Closed Tip by m-gem

Chilpancingo - Closed, Chicago: 1 reviews and 0 photos

This restaurant was recommended in our guide book, so we hiked out Ontario to it and then worried for a moment that we were under dressed for the place. I'd never seen a Mexican restaurant looking so posh! But no worries, though the waiters were wearing bowties, and some of the other customers were obviously there for a nice occasion, we still felt at home there. The interior was dim, but lit with these colourful paper star-shaped lanterns, there were various strange masks on the walls, and large paintings. The women's restroom had a shrine of some sort with skeltons. But anyway, the food... A far cry from your usual burrito with a side of rice and beans. My side dish was fresh grilled veggies and mashed potatoes! I've never had mashed potatoes with Mexican food. And they specialize in mole sauces, which I thought was just a sauce with chocolate in it, but here they show it has so much variety, from sweet to spicy and all in between. The desserts, if you have room for them, are also excellent and so hard to choose from. Also, the waiters are very helpful and friendly. Ours in particular was quite funny.

Favorite Dish: I had a porkchop with a sweet-ish mole sauce, served with grilled pineapple and plantains. Yum. For dessert I had an upside down pineapple cake which had unique spices in the flavour.

Address: 358 W Ontario St
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: (312) 266-9525
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Mexican

• Written Jul 24, 2005

“American in Holland”

Have you been to Chicago?