"The Spanish Guitar" Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Local Custom Tip by deecat
Spain Local Customs: 298 reviews and 272 photos
I have always loved classical guitar music, and the Spaniards play it well.
The most characteristic instrument of Spain, by the way, is the Spanish guitar. It is derived from the Roman cithara. It was brought to Spain around the time of Christ.
The Spanish guitar has gone through many forms before evolving into the instrument we see today. When the Moors were in charge of Spain, the Moorish musicians used a type of guitar that was rounded and resembled a lute. But, by the 16th century, there were all kinds of guitars being made and used. Some of these guitars had as few as four strings while others had as many as seven strings.
By the time the Spanish guitar started to resemble a large fiddle, it was commonly called vibuela de man[vee-HWAY-lah day MAHN-oh"]. This meant 'fiddle played by hand instead of bow".
After many years, the six-string guitar that has a large sound box and a long-fretted neck became the most popular guitar; it is the kind of Spanish guitar that is used today.
The Spanish guitar is one of three elements used in Flamenco; the other two are song and dance.
I think this particular guitar suits the Spaniards well...it emits impassioned sounds and rapid rhythms which go along with the Spanish Flamenco.
More Reviews (72)
- See All One week in Apartment in Nerja
- See All A Former Cistercian Monastery in...
- See All Eating Patterns in Spain
- See All We LEASED a Car For Use In Spain
- See All Madrid's Prado Museum
- See All Bullfighting in Spain
- See All Spain is a Great Place to Shop
- Nightlife in Madrid
- See All Guadalajara: Surprisingly Lovely Town
- Topless Bathers in Tossa del Mar; Watch...
- Speak no Spanish? Need this small book
Been to Spain?Share your travels with the world!
deecat's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Top Spain hotels
- Barcelona Hotels
- 9442 Reviews - 21470 Photos
- Benidorm Hotels
- 439 Reviews - 762 Photos
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- 733 Reviews - 1874 Photos
- Torremolinos Hotels
- 436 Reviews - 1576 Photos
- Salou Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 294 Photos
- Madrid Hotels
- 5306 Reviews - 10727 Photos
- Benalmádena Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 395 Photos
- Playa Blanca Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Marbella Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 2059 Photos
- Adeje Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Lloret de Mar Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 311 Photos
- Málaga Hotels
- 838 Reviews - 2100 Photos
- Sevilla Hotels
- 2207 Reviews - 5567 Photos
- Alicante Hotels
- 482 Reviews - 1057 Photos
- Alcudia Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 113 Photos