"The other Travelors" Beirut Off The Beaten Path Tip by malasli

Beirut Off The Beaten Path: 41 reviews and 92 photos

When you see the immaculately clean streets, the flowers growing in between avenues on those islands near the corniche you realize: Someone is doing some serious cleaning and gardening here. At night, I saw a guy who looked pretty South Indian to me do some sweeping: Bingo, he was from Tamil Nadu. Another day I chatted with a homesick Sri Lankan maid, who was about to go to a photoshop to send her little daughter and family at home her photos. She hadn?t seen her kid for 3 years. Her sister had been hospitalized because of the Tsunami disaster. These people come to Lebanon to make and save the money they otherwise never would?like 100 Dollars a month, which is an okay live-in housekeeper salary in the Middle East, if you don?t have any other expenses. (?Normal? Beirutis live on salaries more comparable to Western standards). They both didn?t look very happy?Think about the likely status of Hindus and Buddhists ?multiple Gods and idolatry? (even though you find statues of ?Mary-in-a-birdcage?, just like Shiva &Co. in India, at every corner) in a relatively modern, though predominantly monotheistic country doing the lowest work.

The Sri Lankan and I wanted to stay in touch, but when I gave her my home number?she said she didn?t do e-mail?it turned out she had thought I lived there. Later I read some articles about the situation of live-in maids: Pretty scary, if you ended up with a loony boss.

• Updated Jul 21, 2005

More Off The Beaten Path in Beirut (1)

Comments

malasli

“Walk 100 moons in someone else's shoes... to understand a fraction of their heart and soul”

Have you been to Beirut?