Green Village: "Shanghainese:Yellow Croaker with Liver Moss Please" Los Angeles Restaurant Tip by aycha

Los Angeles Restaurants: 915 reviews and 1,026 photos

Cuisine: Shanghainese

I should probably first admit that I'm not too big a fan of Shanghainese cuisine. I find their brown sauce too cloyingly sweet and I'm just naturally partial to extreme spiciness. With that said, I enjoyed my lunch at Green Village. Some of my recommended dishes below are not translated into English on the menu, but the waitresses are more than happy to help if you need translating.

Favorite Dish: Yellow Croaker with Green Liver Moss: This strangely named dish comes in an even stranger shape ( looks like poop!) but don't get it twisted - a visit to Green Village is *never* complete without ordering it. Moist, tender fish is lightly battered to a crisp perfection. Very much akin to Japanese tempura or Ensenada style fish tacos, so if you like that stuff, this dish will easily become a favourite. Daddy and I were trying to figure out how the hell it got its cryptic name and we've theorized that one of its ingredients is river moss and the R was somehow lost in the translation and replaced with an L.

Braised pork knuckle: A shaking tender mountain of pork matter. The slow cooked gargantuan mass is oozing with the brown sauce common with the cuisine. It's the Shanghainese version of the Filipino's Pata Tim. Great stuff, lots of it. You're almost guaranteed to have plenty leftover to enjoy for days.

Charred Fish Tails: This was definitely one of the table favourites. Tasty. Ooooh yeah, verrry tasty.

Braised duck: Tender duck drowned in the same brown sauce used for the pork knuckle. Good.

Yellow Leeks in Eel Paste: Another not-to-miss dish, the eel paste is not for the meek and unadventurous. The eels in this dish are not quite like the ones used in Japanese broiled unagi. To the contrary, they're tiny little versions of the eel we're used to seeing, like heaps of large rubberband-sized earthworms strewn amidst the leeks. Another one of my all-time-favourites, even if it does look like something straight out of Fear Factor. =P

Address: 140 W. Valley & Del Mar, San Gabriel, CA
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: (626) 288-5918
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Updated Aug 15, 2005

aycha Lives Here!

Have you been to Los Angeles?