"Party Time" Budapest Nightclubs Tip by johngayton

Budapest Nightclubs, Budapest: 18 reviews and 12 photos

My Entry Ticket

My Entry Ticket
    by johngayton
      Entrance In Daylight (Jan 2011)
    by johngayton

This was a purely impulse find. It had been raining torrentially all evening and so I hadn't strayed too far from my hotel. Having been out for a meal and cruised a few bars I returned to the hotel about 11.30 pm to freshen up with the intention of finding one of the late night venues recommended by "Time Out" (actually am I allowed to mention them?).

On leaving the hotel about midnight it was still, as we say back home, "pissing it down". But immediately across the road from the hotel door there was an open doorway leading down into a basement from which I could hear vaguely recognisable 60's/70's music being played.
There was a guy at a desk at the bottom of the stairs who seemed quite pleasant and when I paid my entry fee gave me the thumbs up and said "enjoy!".

This is Morrison's - to my initial shock there must have been at least three hundred people there and my personal attendance probably upped the average age by about 10%. However the beer was cheap (special offer 150 forints for a korso of Heineken), the music recognisable and the atmosphere really good and so I stopped for a beer.

The venue is in the cellars, which comprise: a long narrow bar just after the entrance, a lounge area, then the dance floor - which was packed - and a chill area. The DJ was playing/mixing, whatever the term the youngsters use, a variety of R&B, soul and classic 60's/70's music and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

In normal circumstances this isn't what I would have chosen to do on a "rainy night in ...Budapest" but found myself in several conversations with various people - I suspect they were practising their English on me! As one young guy said, "Tonight is party, tomorrow is work, I go from party then to work, but only once a week, here is always a good party." I don't know the opening times for the place, or even whether it is actually a regular venue, but see the info on the website below which should be up to date.

Dress Code: Dress code is non-existent. Apart from the guy on the door and maybe one other person, there didn't even seem to be any bouncers. The youngsters were out to party and seemed to treat the place as if it was a party at a respected friend's place - there were a few guys drunk but happy with it, no obvious drug use, just a bunch of 18-20somethings out for a good time. And even an old fuddy-duddy like me "enjoy"-ed!! Leaving about 4 a.m. the place was still buzzing. If this is your thing - go for it!

Address: Morrison's Music Pub, Revay utca 25
Directions: Revay utca is the street from the back of the Opera House going towards the Basilica. Morrison's is on the corner immediately opposite the K+K Hotel Opera, less than 50 metres walk from the Opera Metro station.
Phone: 269-40-60
Theme: Nightclub
Website: http://www.morrisons.hu

• Updated Jan 26, 2011

Comments

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Budapest?