"Bikes Welcome On BART - Sort Of" Top 5 Page for this destination Bicycle / Rickshaws Tip by Karnubawax
Bicycle / Rickshaws, San Francisco: 13 reviews and 11 photos
Taking your bike on BART is one of the great ways to see the more wild and beautiful parts of the Bay Area. However, bikes are not so much "welcomed" on BART as they are "grudgingly tolerated." Only intense public demand finally got BART to relent on its' anti-bike policies.
Up until fairly recently, you had to have a freakin' permit to bring your bike on... effectively denying tourists access to the system. This, thankfully, has changed - anyone can bring a bike on BART - but there are still a huge list of rules and regulations that must be followed. The most annoying of these is that bikes are not allowed on trains during rush hour. This generally applies to all downtown SF stations between 7 & 9 AM and 4& 6 PM, but it applies to some other stations as well.
Bringing a bike on BART is a great thing to do, even if you have to jump through hoops to do it. Most BART stations have a brochure detailing the bike rules (although it will not include a schedule of off-limits trains). If you plan on riding BART with a bike, read their web page first!
More Transportation in San Francisco (9)
More Reviews (77)
- See All Karaoke at The Mint (Castro)
- See All Good Mexican in the Haight
- See All Earthquake Weather
- See All San Francisco Library - SF History...
- See All S.F. Zoo - it ain't San Diego!
- See All Avoid people who tell you not to avoid...
- See All The Albany Bulb
- See All Vintage Clothing on Haight Street
- See All Playin' The Ponies!
- See All I went to Pier 39 (so you don't have...
- See All SF Weather - prepare for anything!
Been to San Francisco?Share your travels with the world!
Karnubawax's Related Pages
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels