"Make Friends with the Waiter or Bartender II" Australia Things to Do Tip by 850prc

Australia Things to Do: 1,257 reviews and 1,890 photos

pchamlis clearly needs no more James Boag beers
by 850prc

OK, you saw the previous tip. Here's another success story in pchamlis' constant plan of being mates with his bartender or waiter.

THIS time, we were eating at a Malaysian place (Nonya) in Adelaide. I don't know jack about Malaysian food, so I confessed immediately to our helpful waiter. We basically told him the type of foods we liked, and he led us to a couple of menu items. (See my Nonya tip on my Adelaide page for specifics) And, he also introduced me to my first James Boag beer in Australia. If you've checked my Aussie beer tip, you know that this became one of my favorite brews Down Under.

Now, it is a general statement that it just pays to be friendly and nice to folks when you're on vacation. (Heck, it pays to be friendly and nice all the time....) But, it's especially beneficial to the traveller to make nice with restaurant and pub purveyors. You'll get an extra special experience.

And, our Nonya waiter friend also KEPT those James Boags coming. Note my even more silly (compared to the previous tip) grin.

BTW, that evening was the first time I'd cranked out my Florida State University Alumni t-shirt in Australia, at least to my knowledge. It seemed to attract a lot of attention. We actually ran into a lady later that evening who was wearing an FSU baseball cap.

• Updated Jul 16, 2005

Comments

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Have you been to Australia?