"Tapas! - Eat, Drink and be Merry!!" Granada Things to Do Tip by Acesabe
Granada Things to Do: 984 reviews and 1,861 photos
Granada, and its province, is (fairly) renown for its culture of free tapas (small snack) served will beers, wines, tinto de verano, etc. (NOTE - you will not get served tapas with spirits or after ordering food!)
This practice dates back to the 'Moorish' time where alcohol was less popular - food being served with the drink to lessen the harmful effects of alcohol intoxication - a practice i would like to see everywhere else in the world considering the state people get into when drinking on an empty stomach, not to mencion the cost!
Top Tapas Tips:
- Most bars/restaraunts serve tapas regardless of how up/down market they may be,
- Cafeterias/Pastelerias/Pubs/Clubs usually don't,
- There are so many bars in granada it is not realistic to list the good ones - it in fact would be easier to list the bad ones as most serve good tapas,
- Tapas is served lunchtime - 12-4 and in the evening - 8-12, bars in more touristy areas may serve it all day,
- Don't ask - it nearly always will arrive about 5mins after you get your drink - if not - bad luck!
- Some places have a firsts, seconds, thirds type of arrangement, while others will offer you a choice,
- The longer you stay - the better the tapa (well usually)!
- It makes no difference to the tapa if you order a caña
[pronounced - kan-ya] (275ml) or tubo (330ml) or vino, but if you are in a group you may be limited to a couple of choices (if a choice is offered),
- If you are planning to 'do tapas' before eating out - be warned - you will not have much of an apetite by the time you get to the restaurant!,
- The food is what you are paying for - the beer costs next to nothing for the bar owner (most people drink beer with tapa),
- To find the best tapas - look further from the central places -while you will still find good tapas there, often in small local bars throughout the province, you will be served with tapas that people in other parts of the world would have to pay good money for!
Salud - Enjoy!
Address: Bars and Restaraunts accross the province
More Reviews (2)
Acesabe's Related Pages
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels