"Somewhere over the Rainbow ..." Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Things to Do Tip by kymbanm

New Mexico Things to Do: 276 reviews and 604 photos

Our suprise view ....
by kymbanm

This was an unexpected and wonderful half-day tour! When we were unable to fly our balloon this morning due to wind .... my car buddy and I decided to explore the area near our current launch site. We wandered dirt roads, marveled at quail, jack rabbits the size of my labrador at home, cotton tails, coyote and more .... we found Pinon at a lower elevation than we'd ever seen before ...... as we drove we were amazed at the life in the desert. The rare homestead was passed ...... at the end of the road was the real treat: a view unlike any I'd seen before ........

To find our route, take Southern or Northern out of Rio Rancho westbound. Turn right/north on Rainbow Blvd. Take it miles and miles down the dirt track. Once you get to the trees, slow a bit. Once it gets sandy, get ready for the view :)

To return, you can come straight back down Rainbow, or do as we did and take other dirt roads. The road that finally met up w/ pavement again has an unknown name to me.

As you are returning southbound, and after you pass the relic that used to be a car at the side of the road, look for a dirt road on your left w/ a stop sign. Take that along the power lines until you get to pavement. You're then on Unser. If you go north until it ends, you'll be at Northwest Corridor. Take a right turn, and when that ends, you'll be on 44/550 between San Ysidro and Bernalillo.

Enjoy this adventure :)

• Written Jul 11, 2005

kymbanm Used To Live Here!

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Have you been to New Mexico?