"Good Samaritans are not always appreciated!" Masada Warnings Or Dangers Tip by balfor

Masada Warnings and Dangers: 11 reviews and 9 photos

Truck with soldiers
by balfor

While in the Navy, I stopped in Israel several times. (well, the whole ship did, I just happened to be aboard her when she did. *grin*)

One of the trips inspired 8 of us to rent 2 cars and go sight seeing. We had driven up almost the length of the Dead Sea and had visited Masada. We had gotten a recommendation of a very good restaurant in Jericho and were on our way there when we passed a military checkpoint filled with young Israeli soldiers, machine guns, barricades and all of the various implements of war or security in a hostile environment. Very shortly after we had passed the checkpoint, we saw a vehicle turned over in ditch beside the road.

Being Americans, we had no thoughts about bombs, booby traps or any other such unpleasantness so we did what we thought to be the right thing. We stopped to help out whomever might be in the vehicle! About the time that we stopped however, a number of Israeli soldiers came running up shouting something and pointing guns at us. Talk about a major shock to the system! Within seconds, a truck filled with soldiers pulled up behind us.

Anyhow once it was determined we were all Americans, they explained to us that they knew of the vehicle and were waiting on their explosives team to arrive and we should just be about our business, which we were more than happy to do!
Where you see the people in the road and the sign behind the truck is where the checkpoint was, so we were VERY close to it.

Phone: 800-OHH_$H!T

• Updated Jul 11, 2005

Comments

balfor

“Okay, I got it all together.... now where did I put it?”

Have you been to Masada?