The Capital Grille: "NMA-Classy Steakhouse" Top 5 Page for this destination Capital Grille Tip by Dabs

Capital Grille, Chicago: 2 reviews and 2 photos

Lisa (shekaago) at Capital Grille
by Dabs

Chicago is known for it's steakhouses, there are so many choices when it comes to steaks. I've shied away from the more well known steakhouses like Morton's and Gibson's-too expensive and reports of long waits even with reservations. I had heard good reports of Capital Grille and it seemed to be a little more reasonably priced so we headed here for lunch on a weekday afternoon.

The interior is very classy, a good place for a special meal or a business lunch. Our server was very personable and service was speedy, maybe a little too speedy as we hadn't quite finished our appetizer when the entrees arrived. The restaurant wasn't particularly busy.

Reservations can be made at

Favorite Dish: We started off with a calamari appetizer which was fried in a very flavorful batter and served with red and jalapeno peppers, would definitely recommend.

Since we were at a steakhouse, I felt compelled to order a steak though there were plenty of other appetizing salads and sandwiches on the menu as well as several seafood entrees. I ordered the filet mignon, cooked medium rare and it came out perfect, a very good cut of meat. For lunch the steaks ran between $20-$25, probably a little more expensive at dinner. The steaks came with a choice of mashed potatoes or vegetable, the mashed potatoes were nothing special but I didn't really any more food.

Before the tip, the total bill was $95 including an appetizer, 2 entrees and wine.

Address: 633 N. St. Clair
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: St. Clair and Ontario, one block east of Michigan Avenue
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 4
Theme: Steakhouse

• Written Jul 6, 2005

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?