"Local parking guard" Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Tourist Trap Tip by matcrazy1

Asilah Tourist Traps: 2 reviews and 1 photos

EASY PARKING IN CITY NOUVEAU
by matcrazy1

Maybe it is more a local custom than a tourist trap.

I arrived to Asilah by own car at the end of September. There were many free parking places near the city walls of the medina. When I was parking a car I noticed an Arab man running towards my car. He had a plastic bag in a hand, and he put out a cap from the bag fastly. He immediately weared the cap with inscription PARKING GUARD. Although his clothes were not too clean he was very polite. He said hello or bounjour and indicated with his finger the inscription in his cap.

I said OK, watch my car but he wanted me to pay immediately. I (as always in Morocco) said OK but not now. I will pay when I will come back. And that man got a bit ungry but finally said OK.
When I came back (about 4-5 hours later) he was sleeping on the grass in a shadow of a tree but he immediately awake to get money from me haha :-). Usually such local guard costs 1-2$.

Unique Suggestions: Take it easy, keep smiling and accept it, please. These guards are often very, very poor. You can give them (extra or instead of money) a small gift, for example a pen, a pencil, a cigarette etc.

Fun Alternatives: You can escape but I do NOT recommend it.

• Updated Jul 4, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Asilah?