"Goats Roam Freely" Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Local Custom Tip by deecat

Sicilia Local Customs: 42 reviews and 63 photos

Goats in Agrigento
by deecat

While walking from our hotel called Hotel Calleverde Park in Agrigento, Allan and I came across several different herds of goats.
The first time, which was when I took this photograph, we thought that the goats had gotten away from the owner.

You see, in America, farm animals do not roam freely. They are usually either penned up or in an area that is fenced in.

However, as we walked further along the road, we met up with several other groups of goats.

Once we arrived at the restaurant, I asked about the goats. We were told that the goats in this area do roam freely so that they can find plenty of grass to munch upon.

I then inquired if the goats mixed from one owner to anothers. He did not seem to think that would matter. I also asked if the goats were ever killed on this road. He said that he had never seen that happen.

Even though this is a small incident in our travels, it is one of those moments that I remember with a smile.

• Written Jul 3, 2005

Comments

deecat

Have you been to Sicilia?