Retromobilia: "Should have been my best bet in the vicinity ..." Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Restaurant Tip by Norali

Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Restaurants: 4 reviews and 3 photos

Marley replaced our traditional marche
by Norali

Le train has passed out... It has changed name into Retromobilia. Same chef, same cuisine but different name.

Also, a new feature, it is a kind of theme restaurant: the one dedicated to collectible cars and oldtimers. The chef and owner are members of a scuderia, hence the restaurant being a kind of HQ for some oldies lovers.

On the wall, photographs of cars on display, in some racing circuit... on stalls, models.

I used to pass by, twice a day and at evenings, this restaurant was always full. No wonder, the cuisine is delicious, the setting is simple, not intimidating, the waiter we had was caring... all of that is OK, except that:

There is One con: that day (a hot saturday noon), we were the only clients and were given a table at the basement. Next to us, a table occupied by the lady owner and her friends. One smoked cigarillos and some people were noisy, the lady owner too was a bit drunk. Too bad, the food was so pleasant but I prefer the quietness. Her husband (chef) was however caring. He joined us twice to ask whether "tout va bien" or not, with his toque and apron on. Wow, he is one of Maîtres cuisiniers de Belgique and, if that makes sense, his institution is recomended by Touring Assistance guide. And it's just up my street. :-)

Favorite Dish: For my first visit, I chose the menu découverte, worth 30 euros (wine not included).

Stater: mix de légumes grillés. Italian-style grilled vegetables in a large plate with some olive oil and tapenade. Amongst others, the dried aubergine was delicious.

Main dish: gambas et riz à la valencienne parfumé a safran (the saffron in it, guys !). Giant gambas with a paella base. Heaven!

The best was yet to come: soupe de fraises rafraîchie à la vanille, very refreshing. I'm looking for the recipe of this strawberry soup. It tasted strawberrry but was soft. I didn't detect the raw taste of fruit, not acidic nor too sweet, just perfect.

Eventually, my Mediterranian lunch was a delight.

Ah! their appetizer is yummy: serrano ham.

That day, we planned a promenade digestive in the nearby Parc de Woluwé. However, soon we realised that a nap with Mister Marley and his friends was to complete the whole thing. Indeed, what other activity would send you to bed with this smile of satisfaction ? You tell me ! I had a bottle of San Pellegrino that day. I cannot even imagine it if I had chosen a red wine... red red wine... that's UB40

Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: same location as tip above
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: French

• Updated Jul 3, 2005

Comments

Norali Used To Live Here!

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Woluwé-Saint-Pierre?