"USS Midway Carrier Museum" U.S.S. Midway Tip by Ken_Weaver

U.S.S. Midway, San Diego: 41 reviews and 155 photos

The USS Midway, a Naval non-nuclear powered carrier, was retired from service in 1991, but made her last sailing into San Diego Bay in January of 2004. For 47 years she had been the home to over 200,000 US sailors. She had been involved in the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and Desert Storm. The Midway was the first ship build that was too large to go through the Panama Canal. She was also the first carrier built with a steel flight deck. She was the longest serving ship in the US Navy .....the sailors refer to "Midway Magic" because she never quit running while others broke down.

When you go on board you will be greeted by teams of docents that are handing out audio guide devices. Take the time to figure how they work and you will really enjoy the tour. I spent about 4 hours onboard on a hot sunny Saturday morning in May. After touring the lower decks, I went up to the flight deck and browsed about the many different aircraft that are displayed on board. I then had the inspiration to call my 83 year old father who was in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII. He is a real naval buff and didnt even know I was in San Diego at the time. "Hey Dad, guess where I m calling you from?" " The 1001 ft flight deck of a naval carrier that missed WWII by 1 week." He knew immediately that it was the Midway but didnt know that CV 41 was now a museum in San Diego.

From the carrier flight deck I could look across the bay at an array of naval vessels including the newest carrier, the USS Reagan.....that didnt impress my Dad much tho as he is a life long Democrat!

Entrance Fee:

Phone: (619) 544-9600
Website: http://www.midway.org

• Updated Jul 1, 2005

Ken_Weaver Lives Here!

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.”

Have you been to San Diego?