"The Hercules Caves" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier Tourist Trap Tip by matcrazy1

Tangier Tourist Traps: 24 reviews and 24 photos

SILLY ME IN FRONT OF HERCULES CAVE'S ENTRANCE :-)
by matcrazy1

From Cape Spartel I followed direction signs to the Hercules Caves (Grottes d'Hercule; 23 km west of Tangier). The caves were not interesting - just a simple and not very large hole in the earth with African-shape (not exactly!) hole overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. It was definetely a tourist trap.

First when I parked a car on a meadow signed as a parking lot, I was immediately attacked by three local parking guards who ordered and took approx. $5. It was my the most expensive parking lot in Morocco (usually I paid $1-2). On a pathway to the caves a few "guides" attacked me again. I ignored them. But in the cave, despite my loud and firm refusal, an older guy started to follow us and talk to us stories about the caves in English with his strange accent. At the end of maybe 10-min. "cave tour" he put "local" cap on my head (look at my picture) and ordered approx. $15 for "the cave tour" but finally agreed to take 1/3 of it.

Unique Suggestions: Enjoy beautiful views over the cliffed coast and the Atlantic Ocean above the cave.

Do bargain both at the parking lot and at the caves. I was in a hurry at the parking lot as I excepted to spend maybe an hour in large caves, silly me :-). On a pathway from the parking lot to the caves I met a couple from Danmark who told me that it took a few minutes to see the caves.

Fun Alternatives: Just skip it. Alternatively drive from the Cape Spartel straight to ancient Roman site of Cotta, only one kilometer southwards.

• Updated Jun 29, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Tangier?