"Dirty cheap accommodations" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier Warnings Or Dangers Tip by matcrazy1

Tangier Warnings and Dangers: 40 reviews and 25 photos

OFF THE BEATEN PATH - TANGIER'S MEDINA
by matcrazy1

Well, I was not going to stay at night in Tangier. But, being highly flexible, when I noticed proud commercial Hotel somewhere off the beaten path in the medina I entered poor and simply room (a lobby?) with large writing on a wall: "no strangers allowed into the rooms" and I asked a guy about room for two. He was talking a lot in strange language (mix of Arabic, French and English) and showed us the best room with no bathroom at the best price ($7 or so). The room was very basic with... dirty bedding and window glass. Better don't ask me about the shared restroom/toilet... I saw something like this only in the former Soviet Union many years before...

Conclusion: skip the cheapest hotels or pensions in the Tangier's medina or take more time to look for a clean one and do not except to find any.

Stay in more expensive hotels (numerous but in high season reservation in advance recommended) or drive to Asilah like I did. I paid approx. $12 - $20 for simple room for two at clean local hotels, whereas touristy, at least 3-star, hotels cost over $50 in Morocco.

• Updated Jun 29, 2005

More Warnings and Dangers in Tangier (1)

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Tangier?