"Goats climbing argan trees" Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Favorite Tip by matcrazy1

Essaouira Favorites: 46 reviews and 59 photos

DO ENLARGE: GOATS ON AN ARGAN TREE
by matcrazy1

Favorite thing: As always, I wanted to see something more driving from Essaouira towards Agadir. So, south of Essaouira, I took a secondary gravel road towards the Atlantic Ocean.

I was very surprised to see numerous goats climbing trees. There are, unique to Morocco, argan trees (Argania spinosa) which have a fruit similar to olives, used to press an argan oil. Goats climb argan trees to eat their leaves and young fruits.

Fondest memory: When I stopped to take pictures a local goatherd stood proudly and started to pose in front of my camera. In a few seconds I saw another, local goatherd running very fast towards me. The young, semi-nude, barefooted boy explained me with his hands and face that he wanted to receive cigarettes and pens he saw inside my car. I gave the goatherds two plastic ballpoint pens and two Camel cigarettes. Well, this, maybe 14 - 15 years old boy, used to smoke a cigarette, hmm... I started at my 16 :-(.

• Updated Jun 27, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Essaouira?