"Overcharging by Locals" Lombok Warnings Or Dangers Tip by batgirl1001

Lombok Warnings and Dangers: 22 reviews and 19 photos

This is very common in Lombok as everyone will try to ask you to pay more than the locals for the same service.

I don't think they see it as 'cheating' or 'swindling' you of your money. Rather, I think they see it as their opportunity to earn more since you are a tourist and are thus assumed to be wealthy and can 'afford' to be overcharged.

It is very difficult to get the 'local' price unless you are a local or have lived there for years and know your way around. It seems practically everyone will attempt to charge you more.

I suppose they reason since tourists can drop 20,000R or more for a meal per person whereas a local would eat a meal for around 3000R, they reason you have plenty of money to burn.

I experienced this 3 times during my stay there and only tried twice to reduce the price. The third time I did not as I considered it a 'tip' to my tour guide by buying coffee from him.

The incidences occured when a guide at Mayura attempted to charge me 50,000R for a tour there which is obviously an outright outrageous payment. I convinced him I had only 10,000R to pay. It was a pity because until that moment he asked for the outrageous amount--> I did liked the guy.

Second was when I ate nasi campor like the locals. The lady attempted to get 20,000R from me for what was a very simple meal. Knowing that it wasn't worth that much (since I saw how much others pay), I convinced her that I had 12,000R to spare only. Surprisingly she didn't seem angry at being paid lower.

Thus here's the lesson--> There will always be a local who will attempt to overcharge you for their services. It is up to you to use good judgment on what to do. For me, I choose to fight when necessary and let certain things go when called for.

Of course, if the asking price is too outrageous (because you can always sense when you are being cheated), you can choose to bargain it down trying to bargain to a more reasonable sum. They certainly cannot do anything to you if you find the asking price too high.

• Updated Jun 27, 2005

More Warnings and Dangers in Lombok (1)

“Singaporean in Auckland.....living the life”

Have you been to Lombok?