Mamas: "Best breakfast ever" Mama?s on Washington Square Tip by bluebug

Mamas is my favorite breakfast spot in the city. It's in N. Beach at Washington square. It's really good. Watch out for the crowds though. I've waited (really rerally hungry) in an hour line wrapped around the outside of the restaurant to get in. It's that good. Not into line waiting? Go on a weekday afternoon.

Favorite Dish: In my meat eating days I'd order the Monte Cristo. It's turkey and ham with provolone slapped between 2 pieces of bread and soaked in some magical batter, then fried to a golden brown deliciousness and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Once it's in front of your face feel free to dip it in the homemade raspberry jam provided to you at each table.
I have'nt been there since I stopped eating meat but if I went I'd throw all health and guilt issues in the gutter for an hour and feast on this obviously heaven created dish.

They also have banana nut french toast which is... I mean, who has banana nut french toast?!

Address: Washington Square @ N. Beach
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: At Filbert St in North Beach/Telegraph Hill
Phone: (415) 362-6421
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.mamas-sf.com/

• Updated Jun 26, 2005

Comments

bluebug Used To Live Here!

bluebug

“"Soar, eat ether, see what has never been seen; depart, be lost, but climb." ? Edna St. Vincent Millay”

Have you been to San Francisco?