"Science, animals and the rainforest" Top 5 Page for this destination Universeum Tip by Henrik_rrb

Universeum, Göteborg: 9 reviews and 17 photos

My friend the shark
by Henrik_rrb

Universeum is the science center of Gothenburg, and probably the biggest one in at least the nordic countries.
When my dear american friend Kassy visited me I thought it was a good idea to bring here there, but I myself ended up really impressed by the whole thing too!

My biggest memory now, three months later, is the huge acquarium, with fishes, rocks and sharks. Days earlier we had also visited the Acquarium in Stockholm, but there wasn't even a competition between them...

Most amazing were the sharks (have always had something special for sharks) and the rocks, that wanted you to touch them. They swum around in a big acquarium, and swimmed up to the surface everywhere a person was standing to let the person touch it's back. They are said to be very curious and are supposed to really like the touching.

How it felt? Well, a bit special. :)

At Universeum there are also a lot of other exhibitions, like the one about the brain, or the space, the human body. Not to mention the place with a lot of nordic animals - specially those who lives in the water.

The rainforest-area is also special, with the temperature at the same level as in a real rainforest.

A visit at Universeum is an absolute must, but make sure you have plenty of time! Me and Kassy stayed there for about four hours, and I think that's about what you'll need to spend there to not miss out on anything.

It's really hard to describe Universeum I have to admit. You should go there yourself to see it, and I promise you won't get disappointed!

Opening hours in August-April:

Wednesday - 10-20
Thursday-Friday - 10-18
Saturday-Sunday - 11-18

Entrance fee:
Monday-Friday: 110 SEK (12 euro)
Weekends: 135 SEK (14 euro)

27 June-21 August: 135 SEK

Free entrance for children under 5 years old.

At first I thought that the entrance fee was a bit too much, but in the end if was totally worth it!

Address: Korsvägen
Directions: Neighbour to the amusment park Liseberg. 7-8 minutes of walk from Avenyn. To get there, take tram number 4, 5, 6, 8, 13, 14. Stops right outside. Station's name is "Korsvägen".
Phone: +46 (0)31-335 64 50
Website: http://www.universeum.se

• Updated Jun 26, 2005

Henrik_rrb Lives Here!

“There is always a new place to see.”

Have you been to Göteborg?