"It is SAFE to drive around Israel!" Israel Favorite Tip by jadedmuse

Israel General: 271 reviews and 259 photos

Driving along the Dead Sea
by jadedmuse

Favorite thing: Israel is a first world country amidst third world neighbors. The infrastructure is developed and the condition of the roads in most areas of the country is great. As for safety, I never felt a moment's trepidation about driving around in our car rental - and we put some MILES on that car! I've rented a car twice while in Israel, and another time I used a friend's car while there. Israelis joke about how crazy they drive, but I don't think it's any worse than anywhere else.

Be assured that you are safe driving around this country - and it's a wonderful way to see it. It's worth pointing out that the Gaza and West Bank areas are guarded by checkpoints and moreoever, you won't be permitted to enter these areas in an Israeli rental car (Israeli tags are yellow). This latest trip to Israeli surprised me in that it was the first time I'd seen the new road they built that circumvents the town of Jericho (in the West Bank). Before, you could drive right through the town.

Note: if you rent a car, you'll most likely be given a map at the car rental place. The map is basic but serves its general purpose; still, I recommend getting a hold of a more detailed map either prior to or upon arrival.

• Updated Jun 26, 2005

“To see the world in a grain of sand & heaven in a flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand & eternity in an hour”

Have you been to Israel?