"The Myth of Syrenka" Syrenka - Mermaid Tip by Gwynethart

Syrenka - Mermaid, Warsaw: 26 reviews and 43 photos

Syrenka
by Gwynethart

There is a legend about this mermaid in Warsaw. Half woman, half fish, Syrenka lived in the waters of the Vistula River and would sit on a stone and comb her hair, singing. One day three peasants decided to catch her for a prince's gift. Filling their ears with wax so as not to hear her singing, they threw a net over Syrenka and shut her in a barn for the night. As they planned to journey the next morning to the prince,they asked a small shephard to stand guard. Syrenka sang and begged for freedom, and the shephard set her free. She dove into the river saying, "I havelived here and sang for ordinary people but they have disappointed me. I will leave and you will never see me again. However, because I love this place, when difficult times come, I will return and arm the city with a shield and sword." Based on this legend, Warsaw established its coat-of-arms with the symbol of Syrenka.

Address: Warsaw Square

• Written Jun 13, 2005

Comments

Gwynethart

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. ~Andre Gide”

Have you been to Warsaw?