"New Hope Antique Car Show" New Hope Things to Do Tip by grandmaR

New Hope Things to Do: 51 reviews and 59 photos

Our 1932 Plymouth in 1969
by grandmaR

Since 1957 there has been an antique car show in the summer in New Hope. We attended in 1969 when we were living in Philadelphia in our 1932 Plymouth. The car has an antique car license on the back from Pennsylvania, and on the front is a 1932 license from Colorado.

One of the features of the car is 'Floating Power'. In order to keep the vibration of the 4 cylinder engine from being a problem, the engine mounts were rubber topped. It also had 'free wheeling' which is illegal today. When you took your foot off the gas, the engine went to idle, so there was no braking effect of the engine. It meant that you could shift without using the clutch.

The cars are judged on authenticity and originality among other things. We have had this car since 1961. It has been repainted - when we got it, it was baby blue.

My father-in-law got this car in the 50s when a student from Florida drove it up to Maryland and traded it in on a Buick. The Buick dealer didn't want it on the lot, and my father-in-law traded him a rowboat that had washed up on their dock during a hurricane for it. My husband taught my mother-in-law to drive on this car.

Phone: 215-862-5665

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to New Hope?