"Polish workers in Italy?" Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Valeggio sul Mincio Local Customs: 45 reviews and 45 photos

by matcrazy1

I was surprised when someone told me that that a woman from Poland was working in Scaligero bar, paninoteca (sandwich bar) located just next door to my Cacciatore hotel. Indeed, once I noticed this car registered in Poland... Haha, I didn't meet that woman, I only left her a small greeting note behind the car wiper.

Well, I don't know official statistics but I am sure that since early 1990' (communism fall and beginning of market economy in Poland) there are not many Polish workers (both legal and illegal) in Italy. Since Poland became European Union member, Poles are allowed to work in Italy without any permission. Poland has ca 19% unemployed and salaries in Italy are usually at least twice higher than in Poland but many prices are higher as well. And Italian language is not that popular in Poland.

There is no risk of massive immigration of Poles to Italy. But there is a risk (for Poland) that quite many, young, well educated and underpaid, in Poland, professionalists may learn Italian, get the job there and finally immigrate to Italy. It started to happen with Polish nurses for example. No wonder, they earn only ca ? 200 - 300 per month in a hospital in Poland. The same may consern to doctors although Italy has the largest number of doctors per 100,000 citizens in EU.

• Updated Jun 9, 2005

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Valeggio sul Mincio?