"Bears in Curry Village?" Curry Village Warnings Or Dangers Tip by VA_Dave

Curry Village Warnings and Dangers: 2 reviews and 1 photos

Bear trashing car
by VA_Dave

Yes bears are definitely a problem in Yosemite. Two people I met there in 2004 staying in the tent cabins had their cars redecorated by bears.

However it is not you the bears want to eat, it is your food and anything that smells like food. So if you lock your food, soap, shampoo and any scented items in one of the bearproof lockers that you get a key to at check in, then you will be ok. Do not keep any food or scented items in your tent. When you check in, there is a continuous video running that shows just what the bears can do to a car.

One guy I talked to, whose car was trashed, said that he left a small bag of potato chips in the trunk, and the bear broke in a side window and clawed his way through the back seat into the trunk. The bears are very smart and they know where the easy food is.

When I was hiking there in August 2004 the rangers told me that if I met a bear I should try to intimidate it by standing up, waving my arms, and shouting because the bears need to learn who is the boss! I am not sure I am ready for that. The rangers patrol the parking lot at night and if they see a bear they try to train it to stay away by using small noise makers etc. I saw deer in the parking lot in the evening, but no bears.

I hope I have not frightened you away. Yosemite is one of the most beautiful spots on this earth, and you and your family should be very safe if you follow the simple rules that they give you when you check in. I have made reservations to stay in a Tent Cabin in Curry Village August 2005, so I hope to see you there!

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

More Warnings and Dangers in Curry Village (1)

Comments

VA_Dave

“We should consider each day wasted on which we have not danced. - Nietzsche”

Have you been to Curry Village?