"Greek Festival" Top 5 Page for this destination Festivals Tip by b1bob

good eatin'
  • menu - Richmond
  • vendors - Richmond
    by b1bob
      the liveliest music without a banjo
    by b1bob

Since 1977, the Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church holds a Greek Festival the first weekend in June. The festival has all sorts of Greek food, music and dance (Greek music is the most lively type that doesn't have a fiddle or a banjo), festival whatnots, and an agora (Greek style market) inside as well as a raffle for a trip to Greece. The festival has grown so much in popularity over the years that the folks who live near the church have complained. One year, they raised a big to-do about parking and sozzled festgoers drenching their prized petunias. There was talk about moving it to the Richmond Coliseum or Convention Centre, but that would take away from the outdoor neighbourhood feel that is more evident even than the Lebanese festival in nearby Glen Allen. To those fusspot neighbours, I say they should go to Hilton Head that weekend and leave the rest of us alone. My favourite things to eat here are the chicken souvlaki, the spanakopita (spinach and cheese pie), rice pilaf, dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), and baklava for dessert. You never know whom you might meet. Sometimes, politicians campaigning for office pop up here. In 1994, I met with Chuck Robb (then a U.S. Senator) and my friend and I just missed a gubernatorial candidate in 2005.

In 2006, Adam Bitely and my mama joined Lee and me. As always, we ate the good food, entered the raffle, danced to the lively music, and looked around the agora. That year, our candidate had us hand out his campaign fliers for him.

• Updated Jun 18, 2006

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Richmond?