"Getting There" Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Transportation Tip by SanguiniA

Tanzania Transportation: 63 reviews and 82 photos

Pic from Minivan from Nairobi to Arusha
by SanguiniA

The best way to get to Tanzania depends on several factors - what you are doing first and where are you arriving from. If you are starting off with a safari and are landing at the Kilimanjaro airport you have no problems as shuttle buses run regularly to Arusha (the safari hub for the Northern Circuit) at decent prices. If your flight does not land in Kilimanjaro you probably are flying to Dar Es Salaam or Nairobi. I could choose between these two and chose Nairobi (even though I wasn't actually visiting Kenya) The reason is this: You can get a shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha that takes about 5 hours. If you land at Dar es Salaam the shuttle bus takes 10 hours. After a 9 hr flight I really dreaded the prospect of a 10 hr bus in Tanzanian roads so I opted for the Nairobi option. Take into consideration though that you have to have a visa to enter Kenya which costs $50 (single entry).

A useful tip: The situation about the single entry visa is a bit unclear. It seems that people pay a $100 visa to enter Kenya, visit Tanzania and go back to Kenya again. The $50 visa is a single entry visa, but if you visit Tanzania or Uganda and then re-enter Kenya you will not need another visa. We did just that : got a $50 single entry visa; double checked with the staff at immigration, went to Tanzania by road, re-entered Kenya again by air and explained to the immigration staff what we had been told and about our journey. Did not need to pay extra $50! Mind you - I am not sure all of this is legal, this was just what we learnt by word of mouth over there, or maybe we had extra nice immigration officials for once!

Mode: TO
Type: Bus

• Written Jun 3, 2005

Comments

Have you been to Tanzania?