VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Art Institute of Chicago" Art Institute Tip by goingsolo

Art Institute, Chicago: 95 reviews and 165 photos

Art Instiitute of Chicago
by goingsolo

I have to preface this tip by saying that I'm not an art fan. So a visit to the art institute is not something that would top my list of places to go. But I went here for a couple of reasons: 1. It was raining; 2. It was included with the Citipass book of attractions; and 3. I figured that if a non art person could enjoy this museum, it must be really, really good.

I was impressed with a lot of what I saw here. Even with my limited knowledge, I could recognize some of the most famous paintings in the extensive collection, like Monet's Water Lilies. I enjoyed the first floor section on Chinese and Japanese sculpture, including the collections from the Ming Dynasty. The contemporary art section was a little to, well, abstract for me. But there is so much here that even a non-art lover would enjoy a visit. There are explanation cards next to most of the paintings and sculptures, which describe the historical period and the persons or things being depicted.

There was so much here that I felt like I was on information overload. So many periods of history represented and so many different cultures- Greek, Roman, Italian, Dutch, etc. This place is really a must see.

Address: 111 S Michigan Avenue
Directions: East Loop, on Grant Park
Phone: 312-443-3600
Website: http://www.artic.edu

• Written May 31, 2005

Comments

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Have you been to Chicago?