"Museum of Science and Industry" Museum of Science and Industry Tip by goingsolo

Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago: 34 reviews and 60 photos

Chicago
by goingsolo

I remember visiting the Smithsonian as a child and being fascinated by the displays and exhibits, and that's part of what compelled me to make the trip over to this museum. This is not one of the "big 3" on the Museum Campus. It is about 20 minutes south of downtown in the Hyde Park neighborhood. The museum was not my favorite of the ones I visited. I felt that it is geared more towards kids, but there were a few sections that I found particularly interesting.

The aviation section, with the United Airlines plane and flight simulator, is worth a visit, as was the section on agriculture and farming. As I said above, many of the science exhibits are geared more towards kids, but it can be interesting browsing for anyone who wants to learn about atoms and electricity and things like that. One of the most advertised exhibits is the display of the human body, which includes slices of tissue and organs. This part made me a little queasy, but many people seemed to enjoy the hands on exhibits found here. There are a couple of movies here as well, which I unfortunately did not have time for.

A visit here can be either brief or lengthy, depending on how much learning you want to do. Keep in mind if you're staying in downtown that its a fairly long trip to this area and back. But this museum is also part of the Citipass collection of museums that you can visit for one lower price, should that matter at all.

Address: 5700 Lake Shore Drive
Directions: Bus 151 from downtown ends up at the museum.
Phone: 773 684 1414
Website: http://www.msichicago.org

• Updated Jun 1, 2005

Comments

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Have you been to Chicago?