Derby Diner: "Southern Fried Diner" Charlotte Restaurant Tip by goingsolo

Charlotte Restaurants: 184 reviews and 94 photos

by goingsolo

I wanted to try some authentic southern food when visiting Charlotte. I'm not sure if this place qualifies, but its a diner and it had southern fried just-about-everything-you-can- think-of on the menu, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Lunch was pretty reasonable. For about $8, you can get southern fried chicken with 2 sides plus biscuits and corn bread. My southern fried feast consisted of chicken and gravy, fried okra and some green beans, which were not fried but probably could have been if I'd requested. The gravy tasted like equal parts flour and water and didn't do much to enhance the meal, but the chicken was decent. The fried okra was pretty tasty, but I lack a basis for comparison. I didn't think the biscuits or corn bread would measure up to anyone's home made standards either. All in all, it was decent,. but I suspect there are better alternatives. I decided to forego dessert, but, in case you're interested, there is fried cheesecake available.

Favorite Dish: That's tough to say. I'd go with the chicken sans gravy.

Price Comparison: about average
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Diner

• Written May 31, 2005

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Have you been to Charlotte?