"Walking the Golden Gate Bridge" Golden Gate Bridge Tip by mydreamquest

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco: 245 reviews and 392 photos

Here I am on the Bridge, May 2005
by mydreamquest

I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, for free, North into Marin County. It was Sunday at around 2pm, the traffic in the right lane to get to the parking at the "Vista Point" was slow. It took me about 20 minutes to find a parking spot.

But, then I was able to enjoy a nice walk across the bridge looking at admirers of my city from all over the world; from Mexico, India, China, Japan, England, and throughout all of the United States.

It's a 1.7 mile (2.7 km) walk and if it is not sunny, prepare to freeze. On a Sunny Day, you will still run the risk of freezing if you wear shorts or forget to bring along a sweatshirt. Since I'm a local, I judged that I could handle the Pacific Winds today on May 29, 2005, and did the walk.

From the Golden Gate Bridge you will be able to see Downtown SF, the Marina, Presidio and Russian Hill. Right in front of you will be Alcatrazz and off to the left of that you'll see the unoccupied Angel Island, which used to be a customs point for Chinese Immigrants. If you look west, you stare into the great unknown, the Pacific Ocean. With the exception of the Farallon Islands 30 miles away or so, there's no mainland until you pass the big island of Japan and stumble into Korea and China.

And China is pretty much where history was born. San Francisco is where history continues, the end of the "laundry cycle."

When you think about it, San Francisco is a city of leftovers: people, food, cultures, ideas, arts, artifacts, ideals, creeds, and celebration.

It's also where all the money seems to finds itself. It's like a huge pot of gold. It has always been like this since 1849 and the discovery of gold in Sutter's mine in Central California.

Address: Northwestern Tip of San Francisco Peninsula
Directions: The bridge is Highway 101's link from San Francisco to the counties North.
Phone: (415) 921-5858
Website: http://www.goldengatebridge.org

• Written May 29, 2005

mydreamquest Visits Here Frequently!

“"I love being lost in a country where the chances of me returning are less than the chances of me being robbed."”

Have you been to San Francisco?