"Selecting a Cruise Line" Alaska Favorite Tip by maryellen50

Alaska General: 244 reviews and 272 photos

Holland America Vollendam
by maryellen50

Favorite thing: I did a lot of online research to decide which cruiseline and what route to take for my Alaska destination. My criteria included avoiding paying the single supplement which almost the price of two people; the best cruise departure port; most scenic cruise route and the best ship for my needs (few children, older crowd, etc.) I selected Holland America for the ship and the Inside Passage/Glacier Bay for the route. The Vancouver departure had the highest recommendation for scenery . I booked my flight directly to Vancouver although it did cost more as I didn't want to endure the waiting at the U.S./Canada border as part of my vacation time.

Fondest memory: Overall the entire sailing was great. The major complaint I had with selecting Holland America was that most of the people were much older than my age 53 & being single so I probably will not book another Holland cruise based on that. I did meet several Celebrity Cruise Ship sailers in Vancouver who were more my age. That factor also affected my shore excursions as I am an avid kayaker and the Holland kayak trip was cancelled due to lack of participation. So in the future I will book my excursions directly with the company rather than going through the cruise line to avoid last minute cancellations by the cruise line.

• Updated May 28, 2005

Comments

maryellen50

“Traveling around the U.S., Mexico and maybe Canada indefinitely.”

Have you been to Alaska?