"Hat trick *" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Off The Beaten Path Tip by Nemorino
Frankfurt am Main Off The Beaten Path: 148 reviews and 217 photos
While walking or cycling around Frankfurt you might come upon a building with four funny green, yellow, red and white hats on it, shaped sort of like dunce caps.
Because of the funny hats, you might expect that something really jolly and nice is going on in this building, but in fact it is the Finanzamt aka German Internal Revenue Authority, i.e. the tax office.
Of course everybody says taxes are too high, even though they have been reduced in Germany in recent years.
Well, they've been reduced ever so slightly for us normal folks, and quite drastically for the big corporations. This was supposed to encourage them to create more jobs; I bet they laughed all the way to the bank about that one.
The latest tax news (in today's paper, actually) is that the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), which as an opposition party has been demanding even more tax cuts, has suddenly had a change of heart after realizing that they will probably win the next election in September 2005.
This building, by the way, is located on the south side of the central railway station, just behind the bus stop on Stuttgarter Straße where the buses leave for Hahn airport. The addresses are Gutleutstraße 118 (green hat), 120 (red hat), 122 (yellow hat) and 124 (white hat).
* If you ask your British friends, they'll tell you that a hat trick means one player dismissing (striking out?) three players in cricket or scoring three goals in soccer, or it can mean winning three elections in a row as Tony Blair has just done.
If you ask the German police, they'll tell you (warn you) that a hat trick is a sleight-of-hand scam played by third-rate con-men on the sidewalk. You're supposed to guess which hat the token is under, but whatever you guess it's wrong and you lose your money.
More Off The Beaten Path in Frankfurt am Main (32)
More Reviews (67)
- See All Frankfurt OperaTalk
- See All Colours of Resilience by herakut
- See All Don?t pick the wrong Frankfurt from the...
- See All When you just have to have a large jar...
- See All Across from the stage entrance
- See All We waited thirty-five years for this!
- See All The world's first tourist opera
- After the opera -- CLOSED
- Accomodation during the Frankfurt Book...
- See All Cycling and jogging by the river
- Open-air opera at the Konstabler Wache
Been to Frankfurt am Main?Share your travels with the world!
Nemorino's Related Pages
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels