"Capodimonte Museum" Capodimonte Museum Tip by yooperprof

Capodimonte Museum, Naples: 21 reviews and 88 photos

Royal collection
by yooperprof

The Capodimonte Museum - oh! My biggest regret from my trip to Naples in March 2005 was that I wasn't able to see its fantastic collection of Renaissance and Baroque Italian Art. My guide books told me that the Museum's "closing day" was Monday - so I made plans to see the museum on Wednesday, which would be my last full day in the city. But no! The museum had just changed its closing day to Wednesday. Oh well, it gives me an excuse to come back to Naples sooner rather than later.

(At any rate, I wouldn't have been able to see the most famous paintings in the gallery's collections: their remarkable collection of Caravaggios were on display in London while I was in Italy, so I would have had to come back here anyway.)

The Capodimonte Palace was one of the projects of the earnest and energetic King Charles III, who inherited the core of an amazing art collection from his mother, Elizabeth Farnese (of Parma.) Elizabeth Farnese herself was the direct descendent of Pope Paul III, who had begun collecting the works of his notable genius contemporaries in the 16th centuries. King Charles III of Naples wanted Capodimonte to serve double duty both as a Royal Palace AND as a place to show off the masterpieces of his glorious art collection. Thus, Capidimonte is important not only for the art that it contains, but also for the role that it played in the history of museumology.

Capidimonte occupies a significant hill overlooking the city of Naples, the glorious Bay, and towering Vesuvius to the south. Many great and famous people have enjoyed the views from its outlooks, including the great British Admiral, Horatio, Lord Nelson and Emma Hamiliton, the wife of the British Ambassador to Naples. They met here in 1797 and soon began their passionate and somewhat bizarre romance. But in the shadows of Vesuvius, anything is possible!

Address: via Miano 2
Phone: 0039.081.7499111
Website: http://www.polomusealenapoli.beniculturali.it/museo_cp/museo_cp.html

• Written May 27, 2005

“from da u.p. to da world”

Have you been to Naples?